MADEIRA SMALL GROUP TOUR
Known as the ‘Pearl of the Atlantic’, Madeira is an island of luscious vegetation, transparent lagoons and spectacular natural scenery; thus it is an excellent destination for outdoor activities! Together with your local guide, enjoy a light hiking excursion along the beautiful levadas (irrigation channels), explore the island’s diverse flora and see some of the most breathtaking views in Portugal. While in Madeira you will also visit the famous Laurisilva of Madeira Forest, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that holds a unique suite of plants and animals, including many endemic species. If you’re a lover of art and culture, then you’ll definitely want to visit the Sacred Art Museum of Funchal to view Madeira’s top collection of Flemish and Portuguese art. The laid back destination of Madeira will enchant you with its natural beauty, authentic vibe and plethora of activities and attractions.
Madeira’s natural beauty is enchanting and it will captivate you just like it has other travelers for centuries.
A land of surprises and we are excited to discover it together!
- Guaranteed departures group travel: small,friendly group of 12/14 participants only!
- Guided tour of FUNCHAL with its historical treasures & popular markets.
- Santa Maria Street, one of the most ancient streets, where the doors open to art
- Visit the Botanical Garden with its collection of more than 2,500 plants.
- Diverse scenery travelling on country roads
- Immense mountains, quaint hamlets of the flower island of Madeira
- Winery tours and cheese tastings
- Madeira Embroidery, where tradition, creativity and fashion combine
- The well-known Farmers market, unique place to buy our regional products
- A road less traveled visiting Portugal’s charming medieval villages.
- Exclusive Private Boat tour
- Sample the best of authentic regional food and wines
- Experienced Tour guide or driver to accompany you throughout your journey
- Included entrances to Madeira sites as per itinerary
- Transportation on tour, via private air-conditioned luxury minibus/car
- Included hotel city tax
- No hidden extras
- Early arrival/Late stay options: We strongly recommend arriving a day or more prior to tour start.We’ll be happy to make these arrangements for you.
- Our regional meals: All breakfasts, 2 dinners, 2 lunches (main meals include regional wine, mineral water, local coffee/tea only)
- Arrival in Madeira: The tour begins with transfers from Funchal airport at scheduled times to our hotel on Day 1 and transfers from our hotel in Funchal on Day 7
- Activity level: Moderate
- Terms & conditions/Single supplement: (View Here) and FAQ ( View Here)
- Trip Interruption & Cancellation insurance is not included. We highly recommend Travelex-Insurance.com to protect your vacation.
- Purchase of European Travel & Health insurance is strongly recommended
MADEIRA SMALL GROUP TOUR
THE COLORS OF MADEIRA ISLAND TRAVEL ITINERARY
DAY 1: WELCOME TO MADEIRA ISLAND
Welcome to Madeira Island!! Arrival at Funchal airport and travel to the heart of FUNCHAL staying for six nights at the charming and central “CASTANHEIRO BOUTIQUE HOTEL” or similar.A welcome drink and dinner are included this evening in a local restaurant.Overnight in FUNCHAL
DAY 2: HIGHLIGHTS OF FUNCHAL & CABLE CAR TO MONTE
Welcome to Madeira Island! The deep natural harbor of Madeira’s capital, FUNCHAL, attracted early settlers in the 15th century. The city’s historic core still overlooks the harbor and has an air of grandeur, with its stately 18th century houses.With the help of your expert guide, you’ll discover the first city built by the Portuguese in its maritime expansion, visiting the SAINT CATARINA CHAPEL, one of the first churches to be constructed on the island, and the 15th century CATHEDRAL, dating back to the XV Century.Continue to the LAVRADORES MARKET, one of the highlights that Madeira has to offer, full of the colour and bustle of island life,attracts flower-growers,basket-weavers,farmers and fishermen from all over Madeira.After time on your own for lunch, board the typical Funchal Teleferico to visit the BOTANICAL GARDEN with its wide variety of trees and plants, brought from all over the world, some of which endemic. Overnight in FUNCHAL
DAY 3: EASTERN MADEIRA
Begin your day with an exploration of the diverse landscapes from craggy coastlines to ancient forests. PONTA DO ROSTO is Madeira’s easternmost point located on a sliver of land jutting out into the Atlantic, and offers dazzling panoramas. Following the northern coast, we call at sleepy PORTO DA CRUZ, named after a large cross displayed to identify it to passing sailors. We arrive in the town of SANTANA, famous for its A-frame thatched houses. Made from stone, wood and anything else to hand, they have brightly painted doors and windows and each sits on its own plot of land used to grow food.After an included lunch in a local quinta, we head towards the mountainous interior and one of the highlights of the tour – the UNESCO-listed RIBEIRO FRIO NATIONAL PARK and PICO DO ARIEIRO, Madeira’s third-highest mountain at 5,930 feet.Enjoy dinner on your own this evening. Overnight in FUNCHAL
DAY 4: HIGHLIGHTS OF WESTERN MADEIRA
This morning’s tour begins with a visit to CABO GIRAO, the island’s highest sea cliff – a sheer drop of 1,980 feet.We then move to the charming small town of RIBEIRA BRAVA,set in a steep valley carved out by the ‘wild river’ that gives the settlement its name. Madeira’s tropical climate is perfect for growing bananas and in the fishing village of MADALENA DO MAR you can experience life on a small banana plantation, where much of the work is still carried out by hand. After an included lunch in a local restaurant, we continue to PORTO MONIZ blessed with natural saltwater pools, formed from solidified volcanic rock and replenished by the waves as they break against the rocks.We return on the northern coastal route via the village of SEIXAL to see one of Madeira’s most famous waterfalls – the BRIDAL VEIL – cascading down the side of the mountain into the sea. Our final stop is SAO VICENTE, a village nestling in a deep verdant valley and believed to be the volcanic birthplace of the island.Overnight in FUNCHAL
DAY 5: CURRAL DAS FREIRAS, CÂMARA DE LOBOS WITH WINERY
Our morning discovery starts with a short drive north to Madeira’s dramatic interior and the CURRAL DAS FREIRAS or VALLEY OF THE NUNS. We drive to EIRA DO SERRADO,over 3,500 feet above sea level, part of a natural cauldron of jagged peaks and chasms, with time to soak up the glorious views down to the village of CURRAL DAS FREIRAS itself. Continue to CAMARA DE LOBOS, a pretty fishing village built around a bay with Europe’s highest cliffs forming a breathtaking backdrop.This is one of Madeira’s main centers for catching scabbard fish (peixe espada),which feature on every local menu.After an included local wine tasting, we will drive to Funchal for time at leisure. Overnight in FUNCHAL
DAY 6: DISCOVER MADEIRA ON A LUXURY CATAMARAN
This morning touring experience takes you to discover Madeira island from the sea on a 3hrs luxury private boat tour,having the possibility to observe dolphins, whales or turtles in their natural environment.Return to Funchal for lunch and time on your own for shopping .Tonight we’ll celebrate your adventure with a FAREWELL DINNER at one of the typical regional restaurants.Eat as a local!! Overnight in FUNCHAL
DAY 7: GOODBYE BEAUTIFUL MADEIRA
Morning transfers to FUNCHAL airport
2023 TOUR PRICE: € 1,900 SINGLE SUPPLEMENT: € 300 Currency Converter
Price is per person based on double room occupancy for 7 days/6 nights
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.