11 DAYS PORTUGAL SMALL GROUP TOURS
Experience the Portuguese lifestyle with a small group of 12/14 travelers only! Secret Portugal tour takes you to discover the unspoilt beauty of this magical land, with its stunning diversity of enchanting landscapes, long white beaches and pretty coves and fascinating history of proud independence from, and distrust neighboring Spain.
Celts, Romans, Visigoths, Moors and Christians all left their mark on the Iberian nation.
Travel to Portugal with its idyllic climate, dramatic vistas, rolling hills and mountains, lively markets, hearty cuisine, glorious art and architecture, that embodies all things Portuguese. From the warm hospitality of its people to the pleasures of the Alentejo wine route and Lisbon’s sights, tastes and sounds.
Portugal is a country of rugged landscapes, sophisticated cities, rural backwaters and sharply contrasting traditions.
A land of surprises and we are excited to discover it together!
- Guaranteed departures group travel: small,friendly group of 12/14 participants only!
- Guided tour of LISBON with its historical treasures & popular markets
- The ALFAMA quarter, the BAIXA, the BELEM districts in Lisbon and more Lisbon beauty
- An included visit to the JERONIMOS MONASTERY in Lisbon
- Try delicious “PASTEIS DE BELEM”
- Visit fairy tale UNESCO site of SINTRA and its 19th century “PENA PALACE”, summer residence of the Portuguese monarchy
- Remote fortified towns and monasteries
- Experience the famous AZULEJOS – the art of Portuguese ceramic tiles
- Elegant, ancient city of EVORA with visits to the BONES CHAPEL & ST FRANCISCO CHURCH
- ALENTEJO WINE COUNTRY and ESTREMOZ
- Discover magical OBIDOS
- RABELO DOURO RIVER CRUISE
- Unknown BELMONTE with its 13th century CASTLE and the JEWISH MUSEUM
- Portuguese TAPAS experience in LISBON
- Home-hosted lunch in a 14th century MANOR HOUSE
- UNESCO GUIMARAES with its DUKES PALACE and CASTLE
- A family owned PORT WINE ESTATE
- Scenic DOURO VALLEY vineyards
- Stunning MATEUS PALACE
- Discover the University town of COIMBRA
- Guided tour of historic OPORTO with its historical treasures and markets and many other experiences to enjoy
- BRAGA and BOM JESUS DO MONTE
- Popular UNESCO World heritage sites
- Experienced Tour director and guide to accompany you throughout your journey
- Included entrances to Portugal sites
- Transportation on tour, via private air-conditioned luxury 16 seats motorcoach
- Included hotel city tax
- No hidden extras
- Early arrival/Late stay options: We strongly recommend arriving a day or more prior to tour start.We’ll be happy to make these arrangements for you.
- Our regional meals: All breakfasts, 2 foodie experiences, 3 dinners, 4 lunches (main meals include regional wine, mineral water, local coffee/ tea only)
- Arrival in Portugal: The tour begins with transfers from Lisbon airport at scheduled times to our hotel on Day 1 and transfers from our hotel in Oporto on Day 11
- Tour itinerary: 3 nights in Lisbon, 2 nights in Evora, 2 nights in Pinhao,3 nights in Porto
- Activity level: Moderate
- Terms & conditions/Single supplement: (View Here) and FAQ ( View Here)
- Trip Interruption & Cancellation insurance is not included. We highly recommend Travelex-Insurance.com to protect your vacation.
- Purchase of European Travel & Health insurance is strongly recommended
2019 THE JEWELS OF PORTUGAL TRAVEL ITINERARY
TOUR LIMITED TO 12/14 PARTICIPANTS ONLY FROM LISBON TO OPORTO
DAY 1: WELCOME TO PORTUGAL & LISBON
Arrive at Lisbon International Airport and travel to the city centre for a three nights stay at the charming “ALTIS AVENIDA HOTEL“or similar, a charming boutique hotel which enjoys an excellent location close to the city’s architecturally treasures. At 6.30 pm meet your tour manager at the hotel lobby for a welcome drink followed by a meal in local restaurant. Overnight in LISBON
DAY 2: DISCOVER LISBON’S HIGHLIGHTS
Portugal’s capital offers an irresistible combination of ancient and modern sights. After breakfast,this morning’s drive takes you to discover BELEM with its exuberant 16th century Manueline architecture including the XVI century JERONIMOS MONASTERY,where Vasco Da Gama prayed and is buried. After an included Portuguese Tapas lunch,you’ll visit the TILE MUSEUM where you will be introduced to five centuries of decorative ceramic tiles AZULEJOS. Continue to ALFAMA, one of the oldest quarters in Lisbon.Dinner is on your own this evening. Overnight in LISBON
DAY 3: FAIRY-TALE SINTRA & HISTORICAL OBIDOS
After breakfast in hotel, we head to the quaint and aristocratic UNESCO town of SINTRA, where Lord Byron lived and considered it to be “Paradise on Earth”.You’ll see castles, fortresses, forests, and beautiful scenery. Sintra and its mystical hills dotted with fairy tale palaces and extravagant villas have bewitched visitors for centuries.In the morning visit one of Europe’s most emblematic palaces, the 19thcentury PENA PALACE, which includes a drawbridge, a conglomeration of turrets, ramparts, domes, and a gargoyle above a Neo-Manueline arch, all washed in an array of pastel shades.The extravagant interior is decorated in late Victorian and Edwardian furnishings, rich ornaments, paintings, and priceless porcelain preserved just as the royal family left them.After lunch on your own, you’ll visit the ancient walled town of OBIDOS,with its gorgeous historic center of a labyrinth of cobblestone streets and flower bedecked, whitewashed houses livened up with dashes of vivid yellow and blue paint.The remainder of the day is on your own.Overnight stay in LISBON
DAY 4: PORTUGUESE ALENTEJO QUINTA,CORK FARM,THE MEGALITHIC TEMPLES & MAGICAL EVORA
Today’s visit takes you to travel into the countryside of the unspoilt wine-growing region of the ALENTEJO, through sparsely inhabited plains and gently rolling terrain, which is dotted with vineyards, cork trees, olive groves and several prehistoric monuments.We’ll be visiting first a family-owned QUINTA for a wine tasting accompanied by an elegant home-hosted lunch in the heart of the Alentejo wine district. Following this, we’ll visit a local factory where we learn about the CORK production in Portugal and the ALMENDRES MEGALITHIC SITE, is the largest megalithic monument of the Iberian Peninsula and one of the oldest in the whole world. 2.000 years older than Stonehenge.Spend the next two nights at the hotel “CONVENTO DO ESPINHEIRO“or similar. Dinner is on your own this evening.Overnight stay in EVORA
DAY 5: THE ALENTEJO REGION: DISCOVER MAGICAL UNESCO EVORA & ESTREMOZ
One of Portugal’s most beautifully preserved medieval towns,the UNESCO 2000 year old city of EVORA is an enchanting place to delve into the past. The town rose to prominence under the Romans and flourished throughout the Middle Ages as a center of learning and the arts. In the morning meet our local tour guide for a guided tour of the charming historical center,with its medieval walls, whitewashed houses adorned with wrought-iron balconies, the ruins of the TEMPLE OF DIANA and the intriguing CHAPEL OF BONES. Rest of the day is on your own followed by dinner in the charming market town of ESTREMOZ. Overnight stay in EVORA
DAY 6: BACK-ROAD PORTUGAL: JEWISH BELMONTE & THE MAGICAL DOURO VALLEY
After breakfast,drive to unknown BELMONTE, considered the spiritual center of Crypto-Jewry, a place where an entire community of Conversos kept large parts of their faith intact and, after 500 years, returned to it en mass. Here we will have a walking tour to discover this charming little town with free time to visit the Jewish Museum and the Synagogue. After a lunch in a typical Portuguese POUSADA near Belmonte, continue to the DOURO VALLEY, land of Port wine staying at the charming “VINTAGE HOUSE HOTEL” for your next two nights with breakfast included. Dinner is on your own this evening.Overnight stay in PINHAO
DAY 7: MATEUS PALACE, PORTUGUESE QUINTA & RABELO RIVER CRUISE
Today’s venture takes you to an epicurean experience through the unspoiled and enchanting Porto wine region. The Region of Douro covers approximately 250,000 hectares, of which 40,000 are vines.We’ll visit the splendid manor house MATEUS PALACE, built in the early 18th century by the architect Nicolau Nazoni, one of the few noble palaces that has remained with their original owners to our days.The Palace is surrounded by gardens,tree covered walks, and allegorical statues. After an included lunch in a Portuguese QUINTA, we’ll board a typical RABELO boat for a river cruise discovering Douro’s lush vineyards of enchanting natural beauty. Evening is on your own.Overnight in PINHAO
DAY 8: UNESCO GUIMARÃES & BRAGA BOM JESUS SANCTUARY
Our days starts with a visit to the medieval World Heritage Celtic site of GUIMARAES, the first capital of Portugal and birthplace of the nation’s first king. It is one of the country’s most historic cities and its World Heritage medieval streets make it one of the most attractive places to visit in Portugal.After lunch on your own,we’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historical center with an included visit to the imposing MEDIEVAL CASTLE boasting eight crenelated towers 92 ft high, built in the 10th century to protect the population from the attacks by the Moors and the Normans.We then drive to the beautiful city of BRAGA, the country’s religious capital since the 11th century, boasting a number of impressive Baroque monuments, such as the BOM JESUS SANCTUARY, with its splendid baroque staircase, the target of penitent pilgrims who come to make offerings at altars on the way to the mountaintop throughout the year. Spend the last three nights in PORTO staying at the five-star hotel “INFANTE SAGRES” or similar. Dinner is on your own this evening. Overnight stay in OPORTO
DAY 9: UNIVERSITY TOWN OF COIMBRA-THE OXFORD OR CAMBRIDGE OF PORTUGAL
Today’s travel bring us first to historic COIMBRA, one of the oldest university cities in the world, where we take a walking tour of the 13th century university- a UNESCO site.Overnight stay in OPORTO
DAY 10: COLORFUL PORTO
Breakfast in hotel.The morning starts with a guided tour of fascinating UNESCO OPORTO, Portugal’s second largest city, named for port wine.We will visit the 14th century Gothic and Baroque São Francisco Church,the stock exchange Palace. You’ll peek into the Lello bookshop, an exquisite landmark dating to the early 1900’s. Throughout three generations, many masters and craftsmen worked towards the building of this 19th century architectural jewel in neoclassical style.Rest of the afternoon is on your own for further explorations.Tonight we’ll celebrate your Portuguese adventure with a farewell dinner at one of the typical regional restaurants in VILA NOVA DE GAIA.Overnight stay in OPORTO
DAY 11: GOODBYE BEAUTIFUL PORTUGAL
Morning transfers to Porto airport or train station.
2019 Tour Price: 3,700 €| Single Suppl: 900 €|11 days/10 nights |up to 12/ 14 participants only! To book a tour with us, simply fill in the online booking form with all your details May 28-June 6 Sept 28-Oct 7 Oct 20-29